Undergraduates at Bowdoin College
- Vanessa Van Deusen, Honors thesis, 2018. Barnard College. A next generation approach to understanding diet of the European green crab Carcinus maenas in the Gulf of Maine.
- Sam Walkes, Honors thesis. 2018. The effects of mitochondrial genotype on the behavioral response to temperature stress in European green crabs Carcinus maenus.
- Robert Barron, Honors thesis. 2017. The dynamics in a parrotfish hybrid swarm in the Tropical Eastern Pacific
- Aidan Coyle, Honors thesis. 2017. Some like it cold? – links between genotype and freezing tolerance in a green crab hybrid zone;
- Erin Voss, Honors thesis. 2016. Conflicting geography of mitochondrial and nuclear markers in a green crab hybrid zone in the Gulf of Maine.
- Aidan Short, independent research. 2015/16. Diet analysis of green crabs using next generation sequencing.
- Jack Mitchell, independent research. 2014/15. DNA barcoding the ichthyoplankton of Hawaii.
Graduate students at the University of Hawaii
- Aki Laruson, PhD Committee. 2018. Morphological and genomic divergence with the tropical sea urchin Tripneustes gratilla. University of Hawaii
- Raphael Ritson-Williams. PhD. Committee. 2017. The role of variability in the ecology and evolution of corals. University of Hawaii
- Kristin Halbert, M.S. 2013. High cryptic diversity across the global range of the migratory planktonic copepods Pleuromamma piseki and P. gracilis. Co-advised with E. Goetz, University of Hawaii
- Sonja Schwartz, PhD. 2012. Species boundaries and speciation on coral reefs. Co-advised with G. Roderick, UC Berkeley.
- Kimberly Tice, M.S. 2009. Against the grain? Morphometric and genomic investigation of the causes of shell variation in the Hawaiian periwinkle Echinolittorina hawaiiensis. Advisor, University of Hawaii.
- John Fitzpatrick, M.S. 2008. Phylogeography predicts biogeography: a multi-locus test of vicariance and dispersal in a widespread Indo-Pacific parrotfish. Advisor, University of Hawaii.
Undergraduates at the University of Hawaii
- Emile Richards 2012/13. A multi-locus re-examination of the Scarus rubrioviolaceus parrotfish complex.
- Christy Hammack 2008/09. Barcoding and identification of tropical fish larvae.
- Jon Coloma 2007-08. Field studies, SCUBA support of field experiments, animal care, molecular lab work.
- Narissa Bax 2007/08 Independent research project: Divergent larval behavior between ecomorphs of the Caribbean coral Favia fragum.
- Darlenis Vargas Cedeño 2006/07 Field studies, animal care, laboratory assistant.
- Scott Walls 2006/07 Field studies, animal care, SCUBA support, field experiments
- Sean Macduff 2006/07 Independent research project: Estimates of fishing and fishing effort on herbivorous reef fishes in the Central Pacific.
- Li-Chien Chen 2005/06 Independent research project: Population structure and phylogeography of three common hermit crabs in the Hawaiian Islands.
- John Fitzpatrick 2005/06 Independent research project: The role of predation in structuring two ecomorphs of the coral Favia fragum.
- Michael Dunford 2003/04 Independent research project: A new tool for morphometric measurements in faviid scleractinian corals.
- Alexis Jinbo-Doran 2004 Senior Thesis Research, Whitman College: Lunar periodicity in larval release in two morphotypes of Pocillopora damicornis.
- Saipologa Toala 2004 URM UMEB independent research project: Where do zooxanthellae come from when the coral Pocillopora damicornis is recovering from bleaching?
- Houston Lomae 2004 URM UMEB independent research project: Settlement plates for larvae of the scleractinian coral Pocillopora damicornis on four artificial substrates in a tank.
Undergraduates at the University of Southern California
- Julie Diemler 2000 Animal care and assistance with molecular genotyping.
- John Jiminez 2000 Animal care.
- Stephanie Coe 1999 Animal care and assistance with molecular genotyping.
Also at the University of Hawaii
- Catherine Lippe 2004-2007 – Lab. Technician
- Dr. Paula Conde-Padin 2006-2007 Molecular and morphological variation in the intertidal snail Echinolittorina hawaiiensis.