BikeMaine Event Coordinator
Bicycle Coalition of Maine
About Bike Maine
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine, Maine’s largest bike advocacy organization, offers as its signature event BikeMaine, an annual week long, 350-mile mass bicycle ride around Maine. BikeMaine promotes bicycle tourism, using a different cycle route each September to explore the inland and coastal regions of the state, with riders camping in a designated host community each of 7 nights. BikeMaine features Maine’s people, places, culture and food, and collaborates with other organizations where possible to move forward mutual goals of making Maine better.
The Event Coordinator is responsible for developing, implementing, and improving upon the logistical and relationship components of this 8-day bicycling event. This position works closely with, and reports to, the Ride Director to guarantee the event’s success as measured by participant, community, volunteer, and sponsor satisfaction. This individual manages all logistical elements of the event, in addition to the overall implementation timeline. The Event Coordinator and Ride Director work in conjunction with the Ride Committee, which reports to the Coalition’s Board of Directors, to create and operate the event in a manner that serves the Coalition’s mission of making Maine better through biking and walking.
Successful experience in producing special events, particularly for not-for-profit institutions or charitable causes, is key, and familiarity with multi-day outdoor athletic events is a plus. Experience in organizing, coordinating, and motivating groups of staff, event participants, and volunteers is important. The position is based in Portland, but ability to travel throughout the state, including some overnight travel, is a requirement of the job.Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to organize effectively with proven attention to detail.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including proficiency in managing and prioritizing projects with multiple and often competing deadlines, and ability to work under pressure.
- Experience in developing and managing a budget.
- Experience with developing, implementing, and overseeing a digital marketing plan using an array of Social Media properties.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently, to work under supervision, and to work in a team-based and goal oriented environment.
- Proficient with MacOS, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Apps.
- Ability to maintain schedules and timelines.
- Ability to use considerable judgment and initiative required to establish work procedures.
- Ability to travel as needed throughout Maine for required site and route scouting, community and/or production meetings.
- Ability to actively participate in the logistical and operational tasks of the actual Event, scheduled annually for the second full week in September, as well as pre- and post-Event activities.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as necessary. Must have valid drivers’ license and excellent driving record.
- Develop guidelines and procedures to streamline the planning and operation of the event.
- Manage vendors before and during week of BikeMaine (including obtaining quotes and securing contracts).
- Manage BikeMaine’s emergency and medical protocols, working to keep up-to-date with industry best practices.
- Work with the Ride Director to communicate with and manage Town Coordinators in the lead up to, and during, the event.
- Work with the Volunteer Manager to identify the volunteer positions needed for the event, to assign volunteers to weeklong positions, to develop training for volunteers, and to create new volunteer positions as necessary.
- Work with the Ride Director, Ride Committee, and consultants to plan marketing and sales promotions and marketing strategies.
- Develop and manage event budget and expenses.
- Manage ride registration process throughout the course of the year.
- Manage all logistics leading up to and during the week of BikeMaine (both on route and in villages), including:
- Purchase or rental of equipment;
- Management, maintenance, and organization of all equipment;
- Participation in the selection and planning of village site and rest stop and lunch stop sites.
- Undertake continuous review of processes and procedures to refine and improve on the event.
- Assist with other BCM events and programs as needed.
Please send resumé and cover letter to email@example.com no later than March 15, 2019
Additional Job Information
Note that providing a salary range is not required, but is a practice that models transparency and is one recommended strategy for advancing equitable compensation.
|How To Apply:||Send resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org|