Summary Description: New England Forestry Foundation is seeking applications for a full-time Easement Stewardship Manager. The Easement Stewardship Manager will be responsible for overseeing NEFF’s portfolio of 145 conservation easements across New England.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the annual monitoring process for NEFF’s portfolio of 145 conservation easements. The Easement Stewardship Manager will coordinate with NEFF’s full-time Stewardship Associate to conduct annual site visits, complete annual monitoring reports, update files and recordkeeping, and communicate with easement landowners.
- Coordinate easement enforcement action, if appropriate, with NEFF’s Director of Forest Stewardship, Stewardship Associate, Executive Director, and NEFF legal counsel.
- Evaluate and respond to landowner requests associated with reserved rights in conservation easements.
- Manage existing easement monitoring contracts with outside entities to monitor NEFF’s landscape-scale conservation easements.
- Manage conservation easement database, records, and GIS files.
- Implement practices and develop new ideas to help achieve NEFF’s easement landowner-relations goals.
- Execute NEFF’s easement stewardship policies and procedures. If appropriate, prepare updates to internal policies to conform to current Land Trust Alliance Standards & Practices.
- Coordinate NEFF’s involvement in Terrafirma, the Land Trust Alliance’s insurance program for conservation easement defense.
- Assist Land Protection staff with mapping and other needs associated with active land conservation projects (such as preparing Baseline Documentation Reports for new easements).
- Assist other departments with forest stewardship, communication, public outreach, mapping, and development support as necessary.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Biology, Environmental Science or related fields
- Previous experience with non-profit land trusts, conservation easement stewardship, and legal concepts of conservation easement defense
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite and ArcGIS software
- Past experience in graphic design and/or map-making (cartography)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Exceptional organizational abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with individuals and organizations with a wide range of philosophies
- Ability to work productively and take initiative with minimal supervision
- Willingness to travel throughout New England, sometimes overnight and on weekends
- Understanding and appreciation of New England Forestry Foundation’s unique niche among conservation organizations; documented dedication to the organization’s mission preferred
- Interest in natural resources, forestry and land conservation with knowledge of New England’s landscape
Compensation and Other Information
Salary is commensurate with experience. NEFF offers a competitive benefits package, including 401(K), health/dental coverage, paid vacation, short & long term disability, AD&D, and life insurance.
NEFF employees are driven by our shared mission to conserve New England’s forests. We believe in the importance of what we do, and we work hard to achieve our goals. Our workplace culture is informal, friendly, and collaborative. Our office is located in the historic Prouty family home in Littleton, MA, and you will regularly see NEFF employees out enjoying Prouty Woods, whether on lunch breaks or during walking meetings. It is not out of the ordinary to start the day early with a walk on the trails, or to end the day paddling a canoe on Long Lake.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply please send a letter of interest, resume, and references to Carson Hauck, NEFF’s Stewardship Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: “Easement Stewardship Manager”. No phone calls please.
See the website for more information: http://newenglandforestry.org/about/careers/
The application deadline is Friday May 19th, 2017.
The position has a desired start date of Wednesday July 5th, 2017.