Education and Events Coordinator, Downeast Lakes Land Trust
The Downeast Lakes Land Trust (DLLT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Grand Lake Stream, with a mission to contribute to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of the Downeast Lakes region through the conservation and exemplary management of its forests and waters. DLLT sustainably manages the 55,678-acre Downeast Lakes Community Forest for wildlife habitat, forest products, and public recreation.
We have built an outstanding outdoor education program, and our goal is to maintain the excellence of this program. In addition, we are always seeking to build stronger connections between local residents, visitors, and the natural resources that sustain the economy, all while educating future generations and building their appreciation for the natural environment and sustainable use of forest resources. We seek an energetic, motivated individual to fill the role of Education and Events Coordinator (EEC).
The EEC will lead DLLT’s education program and assume substantial responsibilities for event planning. The EEC works under the supervision of the Deputy Director. This is a full-time position which will require some work on weekends, holidays, and during non-traditional hours.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Education Program Development & Implementation:
- Under the direction of the Deputy Director, the EEC will develop and lead education programs that support DLLT’s mission and initiatives.
- Foster partnerships with local schools, camps, and other organizations.Evaluate and report program outcomes.
Outreach and Event Planning:
- Under the direction of the Deputy Director, the EEC will assist in developing print, online, and social media outreach materials and donor communications.
- Plan and coordinate outreach and special events, and will provide information on and promote DLLT programs, plans, and policies to the DLLT community.
- Represent DLLT at public events and communicate DLLT’s work to broad audiences.
Contribute to DLLT’s ongoing efforts to develop relationships with diverse donors and supporters.
- Prepare reports to the committees and board and participates in the Education Committee meetings and other meetings as needed.
- Assist in development of DLLT’s volunteer program, including recruitment and acknowledgement of volunteers.
Manage volunteers working in the EEC’s areas of responsibility.
- Assist other staff as needed to promote DLLT’s mission and achieve objectives related to all of DLLT’s diverse programs and projects.
The position is based in Grand Lake Stream, Maine. This is a small, rural community (winter pop. 100) with a traditional natural resource-based economy focused on outdoor recreational tourism and the timber products industry.
Must have demonstrated educational experience, including teaching in both classroom and outdoor settings.
Outstanding interpersonal skills with children and adults of all ages, and a demonstrated ability to form partnerships with individuals, agencies, and organizations are required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical. Experience with public speaking both with, and without, the use of audiovisual aids. Must be comfortable living and working in a small community in rural Maine. Experience and comfort with outdoor recreation activities including hiking, boating, and winter sports are preferred. Current wilderness medical certification (WFA or higher), or willingness to obtain certification within 3 months of employment, is required. Knowledge of natural sciences such as ecology and natural resource management a plus, and a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a closely related field is preferred.
Compensation: Salary and benefits (including health, vacation, and retirement) commensurate with qualifications and comparable to similar positions.
Additional Job Information
Note that providing a salary range is not required, but is a practice that models transparency and is one recommended strategy for advancing equitable compensation.
|Other, Program/Project Management, Teacher|
|Down East – Northern|
|Grand Lake Stream|
|Send resume, cover letter, and contact info for 3 references in a single document by email to email@example.com, ATTN: Education & Events Coordinator. For more information on the Downeast Lakes Land Trust, see www.downeastlakes.org. DLLT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applications must be received by Sunday, March 31st.|