Freeport Historical Society is located in the historic Harrington House built in 1830, one block south of L.L. Bean in Freeport. Its collections include a sculpture of Admiral Donald MacMillan, who lived in Freeport for many years, as well as photographs and correspondence relating to him. He had family and friends in town, and so visited and lectured often. Freeport Historical Society houses a logbook from MacMillan’s explorations on the schooner Bowdoin in 1938. There are also photographs, ephemera, and a bone-tipped Inuit paddle brought back by MacMillan’s engineer John Jaynes in the collection.
Photo courtesy to Freeport Historical Society.