Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative
Conservation Education Summer Associate
Background: The Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative (SMCC) is a non-profit membership based service center with the mission to accelerate conservation work in Southern Maine by providing technical and administrative support, and expanding meaningful partnerships. SMCC membership includes 21 conservation organizations in Southern Maine. For more information, please visit www.southernmaineconservation.org.
Job Description: SMCC is seeking a Conservation Education Summer Associate to assist in providing SMCC and our Conservation Member Organizations with support services focused on education – including adult and youth programing. This position will be designed especially to facilitate educational and professional experiences for the Associate in the field of conservation, non-profit administration, community engagement and collaboration by supporting the learning opportunities with intellectual discussion and identified teachable moments. The Summer Associate will be expected to work on various projects on a part time basis (to be determined based on availability and need) between June and the end of August. The Summer Associate will need to provide their own transportation and computer.
Compensation: Hourly wage will be $12/hour.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist, create and lead nature based educational opportunities ranging from youth lessons and activites to broad community outreach experiences
- Work with SMCC staff to research, design and begin to implement a new resource hub and library for educational models, examples and tools from around the state
- Assist in developing, updating, increasing and maintaining an organization’s social media presence. This could include monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting Facebook, Instagram and Twitter updates etc.
- Assist in planning, writing, researching, creating and managing eblasts and e-newsletters
- Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts and other stories
- Manage and update editorial and event calendars
- Assist with website updates and postings
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications
- Assist in event planning, promotions and event day support
- Assist with supporting standards and practices, research, special projects, and as needed ongoing administrative support
- Prepare weekly reports, timesheets and maintain regular contact with supervisor
- Prepare and present a report at the end of the summer on the experience to provide insight for future program development
Desired skills and experience:
- A positive attitude and energetic work ethic that shows initiative, drive and a can do attitude
- Ability to work without micromanagement but not afraid to ask questions
- An outgoing personality and ability to comfortably communicate with board members, staff and volunteers, respected peers and valued supporters
- Flexibility and comfort with working on multiple tasks with strong organizational skills
- Experience working in educational settings and preferably also students of Education theory and practice
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., Education, Marketing/Communications, Website Design or Graphic Artist, Advertising or Public Relations)
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher etc.), Website content management, Adobe Indesign and Photoshop a plus
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter that conveys interest and relevant qualifications to email@example.com by April 28th, 2017.
SMCC reserves the right to conduct background checks as a condition for employment.
Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.