Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative
Stewardship/GIS Summer Associate
Background: The Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative (SMCC) is a non-profit membership based service center with the mission to accelerate conservation work in Southern Maine by providing technical and administrative support, and expanding meaningful partnerships. SMCC membership includes 21 conservation organizations in Southern Maine. For more information, please visit www.southernmaineconservation.org.
Job Description: The Stewardship/GIS Summer Associate will assist SMCC Member organizations with property based stewardship issues such as trail and property maintenance, property access, GIS mapping, baseline data collection and reporting, and more. This position will be designed especially to facilitate educational and professional experiences for the Associate in the field of conservation, non-profit administration, community engagement and collaboration by supporting the learning opportunities with intellectual discussion and identified teachable moments. The Stewardship/GIS Summer Associate will be expected to work on various projects on a part time basis (to be determined based on availability and need) between June and the end of August. The Summer Associate will need to provide their own transportation and computer.
Compensation: Hourly wage will be $12 per hour.
Responsibilities may include:
- Working with SMCC staff and member organization representatives to develop project scope, timeframe and deliverables
- Provide support for stewardship and GIS activities that may include map making, trail and property maintenance, baseline data collection, natural resource inventory data collection and reporting, signage, resolution of access issues, annual monitoring
- Assist with coordination of volunteers, special events or projects such as property clean-ups, invasive plant species removal or educational events
- Assist with other stewardship projects as needed
- Provide research and organizational support for property documentation and record keeping and other ongoing administrative support as needed
- Prepare weekly reports, timesheets and maintain regular contact with project supervisor and SMCC Executive Director
- Prepare and present a report at the end of the summer on the internship experience to provide insight for future program development
Desired skills and experience:
- An enthusiasm and commitment to conservation
- Willingness to perform both indoor administrative tasks and outdoor field work as needed
- Experience with GIS, hand tools, trail maintenance and other stewardship activities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Independent and self-directed worker
- Ability to work closely with people from diverse backgrounds and foster collaboration
- Flexibility and comfort with working on multiple tasks
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher etc.), ArcGIS, GIS Apps, map making a plus
- Experience with non-profits and/or land trusts preferred
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter that conveys interest and relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 28th, 2017.
SMCC reserves the right to conduct background checks as a condition for employment.
Southern Maine Conservation Collaborative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.